Feeling unmotivated & disconnected? Yeah, me too.
People are often shocked to find out I sometimes feel like doing dick all in my business. They assume because I get to do help clients on my own terms, my own schedule, and in my own style, I’m chomping at the bit to work work work work work work work.
Friends, I won’t lie: Some days I’d much rather be hiding on a mountain or watching season 3 of Game of Thrones (yes, I know I’m late to the party) than answer those emails, type up that newsletter or do any work whatsoever. Sometimes, I’m just not feelin’ it.
And yet, I still need – you still need – to get shit done.
Let’s be honest, running a business when you’re feeling unmotivated and disconnected is hard. Hell, running a business when you’re feeling motivated and connected is tough, too.
But here’s the thing:
There IS a way to get shit done when you’re feeling unmotivated and disconnected. And that’s to reconnect and re-motivate. And this method doesn’t even involve whiskey (#sorry).
I call my “how to get shit done even when you’re feeling unmotivated and disconnected” process…
Whip-Ass Warrior Sessions
Whip-Ass Warrior Sessions are basically self check-in sessions. They’re solo retreats you can explore in the comfort of your own home, cafe, beach or bar and help you maintain accountability, direction and focus so you continue to get shit done, yo! And all you need is your badass self, a pen and a pad of paper (or a laptop, if you’re not stuck in the 90’s like me.)
Whip-Ass Warrior Sessions allow you to:
- Connect, motivate and inspire yourself into clarity and getting shit done.
- Be curious like the monkey and flexible like silly putty; Be real, be honest, be kind.
- Refine your goals/intentions to meet your happiness, soulful, and income quotas.
- Discover what’s working for you what isn’t, and adjust accordingly.
- Review tools, systems, workflow + actual work you’re doing! Does it all fit?
- Ask yourself questions that help guide your vision, mission + overall happy factor.
- Nurture yourself with valuable self care so you do NOT burnout.
How to Host Your Own Whip-Ass Warrior Session
I recommend to coaching clients they schedule day long Whip-Ass Warrior Sessions at the end or start of each month. Personally, I do these on the last day of the month. It allows me to reflect and start the next month, fresh.
Additionally, schedule in an extra day (or eek – 2!) at the end of each quarter or at the 6 month mark to check in with yourself on a more high-level basis. And of course, one final big one (I take 2 weeks, but you do you) at the end of the year.
Open your preferred calendar system. Paper agenda, iCal, Outlook, Trello, what have you… Schedule it. These sessions are instrumental to your motivation, connection and not feeling like poo-poo in your business – make them hard appointments and don’t break them. Because when you feel motivated, inspired, connected and not like poo-poo, your business will grow and you’ll get more clients which = more dolla dolla billz. So let’s show up, yeah?
During that day, I suggest you don’t check email, do client work or watch Game of Thrones. Instead, reflect on the last month(s), journal, sit quietly with tea, ask yourself a barrage of questions, write them down (this actually creates physical connections within your brain), evaluate, and allocate your time and energy for the next month based on your findings.
Reflections & Questions To Ask Yourself During Your Whip-Ass Warrior Session
Be real. Be you. Be gently but consciously honest with yourself.
These are the hard questions. And if you approach them systematically with candor, love and integrity, you’ll see more success and awesomeness in your life and business. You WILL get shit done, even when you feeling unmotivated & disconnected. I promise.
You design your life. You choose your path. Your business is yours to create. So let’s get creative!
- What are my top 5 priorities as I move into the next month in my business and life?
- What are my top 3 goals and dreams in life right now?
- WHY are these my priorities and goals? Am I choosing them because I think I “should” or “have to” or it’s what’s expected of me? Or am I choosing them because they are my true desires?
- How do I want to feel through this next chapter?
- Do these goals, dreams, and priorities bring me closer to those feelings, from the inside out?
- If they don’t bring me closer to those feelings, what can I do differently – what can I choose or adjust – to bring me more in line with my truth, from the inside out?
- Do I need to let go of anything to feel more motivated and connected? These could be toxic relationships, tasks that are a drag, or even vision/big goals.
- If I approach these challenges with confidence rather than fear (or simply do it despite the fear), how will that shape my reality?
- What time do I realistically have to invest in these priorities? Can I adjust it?
- What motivates me? How can I factor more of that type of reward into my life each day?
- Are there any elements of my business that I’m not enjoying? What can I do to either make them more enjoyable or delegate them?
- Are there any elements of my business that I really love doing? How can I do make space for more of those things?
- What does success look like to me?
These questions are just a start! If you come up with others, ask them! Let your intuition guide you!The universe whispers sweet nothings, guiding you to your happiest, most successful path… Click To Tweet
What to Do After Your Whip-Ass Warrior Session
Once you get clear on your reflections, put them into action! Whatever that looks like to you. It doesn’t have to be big movements, just something to get you moving in small, manageble increments.
After each of these monthly sessions I schedule my content calendar, adjust my website copy, and make sure I block out time to show up live on social media to nurture my community. I also block off time each morning for reading, and whole days for hiking – totally not related to my business – because I know one of my core desires/feelings is to feel close to nature. It’s how I keep my sanity. And it allows me to show up fully (most days) in my business.
Each time you host your solo Whip-Ass Warrior Session you’ll find your process evolves, your passions may change, and your vision/direction will meander. And that’s a good thing!
Every time you change a system, tool or perspective, you get one step closer to your truth.
One step closer to authenticity.
One step closer to feeling connected and motivated.
And ultimately, one step closer to getting shit done.
When the Whip-Ass Warrior Session Just Doesn’t Do It
Take a fucking break, friend.
Sometimes, even when we know exactly what our passions are, where our interests lay and how to live our loudest most exciting truths, we just need to walk away and do something else. Anything else.
And sometimes, even when we have ZERO idea what our passions are, or where our interests lay, or how to live our loudest most exciting truths, we just need to walk away and do something else. Anything else.
So do it. It’s okay to let things go. It’s okay to breathe. It’s okay to make space. It’s okay.
We’ll be here when/if you decide to come back. But if what you’re doing isn’t bringing you joy or you feel like you just need a few days, months, or years, take ’em. Don’t do a damn thing you don’t want to. Hide on a mountain. Watch season 3 of Game of Thrones. Be gentle – and authentic – with yourself.
Because when we give ourselves that space, our passion, motivation and connection will rear it’s gorgeous head. Whether it’s in relation to your business or a wholly new adventure.
And that’s what it’s all about.
How do you stay motivated and connected? What do you do when you feel like poo-poo and can’t get shit done? What other questions would you add to a Whip-Ass Warrior Session? Leave a comment below or please shoot me an email and tell me directly! It makes me happy to hear from you.